Monday, November 16, 2015

Review: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel


READ THIS!  We read it aloud, and … wow.  My partner now wants to read more post-apocalyptic stuff (I recommended: Alas, Babylon).  We follow the intertwining strands of several people’s lives who experience a nearly extinction level pandemic in the near future.  I didn’t find it overly gruesome the way some books in the genre go, though there is death and injury, and other unsettling events, as anyone would expect.  The book does a lot of slipping and sliding in the timeline, but these shifts are handled deftly by Emily St John Mandel.  The post-apocalyptic chapters and scenes largely take place 20 years after the pandemic, which is very interesting.  If you’re at all interested, I know you’ll look at more reviews, and have probably already heard of this book.  I’m just adding my voice to the choir singing its praises.  It’s a creepy, beautiful, touching story about family, survival, and at its core: art.  I loved it.

Enjoy this post?  Why not subscribe to my newsletter?

2 comments:

The Bookish Island said...

good review. i cant wait to get my hands on this book.if i can.

Benjamin L Clark said...

Thanks! It should be available widely now.